Silver Line construction contractors meandered through the below-freezing, near record-low temperatures along with snow and ice, and are looking toward some busy months as Phase 2 work continues from the Wiehle-Reston East Metro station to the end of the line in Ashburn.
Here’s a look at some of what to expect and what not to expect in the coming months:
- Pedestrian Tunnel: Work continues on the pedestrian tunnel that will carry passengers on moving sidewalks to and from the main terminal at Dulles Airport and parking garage 1. Moving sidewalks will be tested. Shuttles will continue to run until the tunnel reopens.
- Track work: Track installations will take place all along the alignment. Retaining wall construction continues in the median of the Dulles International Airport Access Highway (DIAAH). Yard lead work continues and aerial guideway track at the airport is being prepared for installation of systems equipment.
- Electric Power: Energizing the electrical systems in selected sections of track and service buildings such as traction power substations will begin. Communications and power lines are being relocated to allow access to the west end of the Herndon Parking Garage. Power lines for future signage and power gates along the DIAAH will be installed. Cabling continues to provide power to traction power substations, train control rooms and tie breaker stations.
- Reston Town Center Station: Installations on pedestrian bridges on the north side of the station and ongoing finishing work on bridges on the south side.
- Herndon Station: Construction of the pavilion on the north side of the station between the Dulles Toll Road and Herndon Parkway will begin soon. Fairfax County continues to work on a parking garage it is building near the existing Herndon-Monroe Park and Ride. Work on the roofing of the station vault is headed for completion. Slight changes in the Dulles Toll Road location are being made.
- Innovation Center Station: The most complete of all the stations, roofing work nearly complete as work on the pavilions and pedestrian bridges continues.
- Dulles Airport Station: Clearly visible as crews work to complete the roof. Electrical work continues.
- Loudoun Gateway Station: Station precast work continues and pedestrian bridges are in place.
- Ashburn Station: Steel roof erection should begin in March. Pedestrian bridges have been installed on south side and are almost ready for installation on the north side.
- Rail Yard: Duct banks and manholes are being installed.
- Start-up: Preliminary planning for start-up will continue involving contractors, the Airports Authority and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority.
Pictured at top: A TPSS modular building being delivered and each segment set into place on the concrete slab. Photo courtesy of John Kearney.